Sunday, February 5, 2012

...She'll Promise You That She's Not Illiterate and Knows How to Spell

You may or may not be wondering why I keep referring to the house as "Nu" to Us.  There's really nothing all that incredible, or interesting, behind it. 

It's just something I do.  I picked up it many summers ago on a trip to West Virginia.

I used to spend part of my summer in a small town called Rowlesburg, WV.  Some of you who are reading this may have even been there with me or were there at another point in time.  It was my very first time down there.  It wasn't an "official" trip as I would go on in subsequent summers but it was with a small group of other teens and adults.  We were coming back from a job that we were working on. (We were down there to help rebuild homes that had been destroyed in the 500 year flood.) As we're driving along winding country roads, which always made me think of John Denver and his "Country Roads", we passed a car dealership.

Now, if you know ANYTHING about this area of the country, when I say car dealership I'm using the term quite loosely.

So, we pass this dealership and the name of the place is "Nu to U Used Cars".  I don't know why I remember this so vividly.  I don't know why it stuck with me.  But in that moment I laughed out loud and from then on I've referred things that come to me used as "Nu to U".  I guess it's just something that makes me laugh and gives me some good memories.  I'm sure I could examine it far more fully and talk about the idea of newness and poverty and what it was probably like for the people of WV to be able to afford that "Nu to Them" car, but then I'd just be overthinking something pretty simple.

There you have it.  I'm not illiterate.  I guess you really knew that, though, because I can clearly write pretty ok via the Inter-Al Gore-net.  I figured I'd give you a bit of an explanation though because I'll probably use that "Nu to Us" phrase quite a bit as we go along!

Our house is Nu to Us and I think that's really all that matters!


No comments:

Post a Comment